Sunday, June 6, 2010

Five Great Goops

Glop, goop, and goo... some of my favorite things for babies (and mamas) come in bottles and tubes.

Lansinoh Lanolin
lanolinThere is a good possibility that my breast feeding days would have been over early on if not for Lansinoh lanolin nursing cream. In the beginning, even if you are doing it right, breast feeding can be extremely painful on the nipples. This cream makes a real difference and it doesn’t have to be washed off prior to nursing. If you are pregnant and thinking of nursing, get some. The hospital you deliver in will probably have travel size tubes of it, so make sure you remember to ask for it.

detachol
detacholOne of our favorite nurses gave us a bottle of detachol to take home, a PICU parting gift. This magical goo removes anything that gets stuck to your baby’s skin or hair. Band-aids, electrode stickies, medical tape, tree sap, gum... you name it, detachol will get it off pain free.

Boudreaux’s Butt Paste
buttI’m not sure why this diaper rash cream seems to work better than the rest, but my babies’ bottoms have sworn by it for years. It looks like mud, smells pretty, and clears up irritated skin in record time. For an almost free sample (you pay postage) visit buttpaste.com.

Nordic Naturals DHA Oil
I have written about the wonders of DHA/Omega 3 oil in the past. Since then Nordic Naturals has introduced a DHA product designed for infants. It comes in an easy dose bottle and is unflavored (though I am not sure if that’s a good thing with fish oil, lol).

Coconut Oil
coco152Babies with Down syndrome respond well to body massage and therapeutic touch. There are a lot of massage lotions and oils on the market but I prefer to use coconut oil because it doesn’t clog pores and has a very low allergy risk compared with other nut oils. It doesn’t leave baby’s skin greasy and it doesn’t stain clothes. It smells delicious (if you like coconut :-), has a long shelf life, and protects against dry skin. As if all that weren’t enough, there are even Internet rumors that coconut oil is beneficial against alzheimer’s disease.

Spring Giveaway
It is still Spring... thank goodness I didn’t miss an entire season without giving a little something away ;-) This time you can win a bottle of Nordic Natural’s new baby DHA product (and a cute growth chart for your wall). A representative from Nordic Naturals contacted me to say how pleased the company was to know that their product is especially beneficial to children with Down syndrome, and they offered to donate this season’s giveaway goodies. To be entered to win, just leave a comment on this post by June 20th.

Your Turn
Got a favorite goop? Tell us about it. We love to hear what other people are using and why. If you comment, you will be entered into the drawing so if you don't want to win, make sure you tell me to keep you out of it.

20 comments:

  1. Love all of this goop! don't know what I would have done without Lanisoh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lansinoh also makes a great diaper rash ointment...the packaging is nearly identical. We loved it with both LC and Jace's bottoms...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use Children's Multi-Vitamin Liquid by Schiff and we love it! I add it to her oatmeal (along with the nordic naturals of course) every morning.

    I have used all your other goops too! Funny to see them all collected in one spot though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to try the coconut oil...our infant stimulation teacher gave us a bottle of grape seed oil for the baby massage and it works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the great information. I look forward to trying some of these products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We swear by the buttpaste (the word buttpaste is fun to say!) and nordic naturals! I am not sure about flavorless because even with the strawberry flavoring in the stuff we give Joey I swear it still smells like fish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the information! I have enjoyed the Arbonne baby products for my kids but have heard of the butt paste being very helpful. My kids have never had diaper rash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of these, but we use California Baby for our soap/shampoo, diaper area wash, and diaper creme if necessary (but Sheridan's never really had a diaper rash - knock on wood).

    I have to add three things to this list :)

    1. NielMed "Nasa Mist" saline spray - TOTALLY helps with allergies, runny noses, and dry noses. Totally natural, no burning, etc. Love this stuff! Sheridan has one dedicated to him that we keep in his dresser.

    2. Tom's of Maine natural flouride-free toothpaste for children ("silly strawberry" flavor). We barely use any on Sheridan's toothbrush, but it really helps get his teeth clean and there's just enough flavor for him to want it :)

    3. As a mom using cloth diapers, my favorite "goo" is Kissaluvs "Diaper Lotion Potion" - I use it to make a diaper wash spray and our own cloth wipes. I love how clean it makes him, it smells awesome (how many people can say that during diaper changing?!) and it's all natural oils like tea tree, jojoba, lavender, etc. mix it with some witch hazel and warm water and you've got an awesome butt spray :) or a great wipes warmer full of 20+ soft velour wipes. C'mon, who wouldn't want their butt wiped with velour???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much for the very informative post. After reading your previous post on nordic dHa, i ordered it and it has arrived. i can say that it has made a lot of diffrence to my daughter well being. so thanks a lot for informing mothers. I am even inspired to start blogging some day. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Nutiva coconut oil. I use it in all my baking. I replace half the butter or veg. oil with the coconut oil. It is very good for you and even ups your metabolism. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, I think the cold cabbage leaves saved me thru breastfeeding, but the lanolin is a great runner up! LOVE the Nordic Naturals for my big kids..about to start Parker on some too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Because of your previous article about Nordic DHA Oil/Omega 3, I am going to buy it for my son. I found it in amazon.com, but I also found out that it is sold in local GNC close to my house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would Love some of the DHA supplement to try!! I loved all thse goops also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe Bag Balm hasn't been mentioned!! Great stuff-from diaper rash to dry skin to chapped lips to abrasions! Yes, it was formulated for dairy cows in Vermont to protect them in the winter, but can be used on people too! It's a lanolin petroleum base, so a cross between vaseline and lansinoh! Best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Lansinoh. It's great for pumping too. :) I'm going to have to try the buttpaste. Desitin isn't doing the trick...

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my girlfriends said the Butt Paste is the best. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but I might get some just to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am new to your blog. I am entering a comment for the giveaway, but I am also interested in how this supplement specifically helps a child with Down syndrome. I have a 10 month old daughter that has Downs. I have heard about a different supplement, Nutrivene. Thank you for sharing information with us new moms. It really helps to read from someone with experience!
    Tina in TX

    ReplyDelete
  18. We use grape seed oil for massage, but a topical-smelling baby sounds nice! We'll have to try the coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny that you posted this on 6/6, just 2 days after I had Baby Luke and was slathering on Lansinoh after every nursing. Oh, those early days of nursing are a real PAIN, but this stuff definitely helps. Thanks for the tip on ButtPaste. I hadn't tried it, but if it smells good... that might make me consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great information! I'm going to look into getting the Nordic Naturals and the coconut oil! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your experience and opinions, or ask a question. I won't even mind if you correct me on something.

ds.mama will delete any comments that are simply product advertising.